Friday, July 31, 2009

fat scars

I find myself standing in front of the mirror a lot lately, just starring at my body. No, I haven't become a narcissist, I'm just looking for the changes. A majority of the time I'm doing this, its usually in the morning after a shower. While I am noticing my belly slowly shrinking, and the creases in my stomach becoming less, I can't help but wonder if I will ever be okay with my body.

I know that sounds weird...let me explain. If you look at my stomach, I have stretch marks all around my belly button, kind of like a woman who has given birth. To me they are ugly, a reminder that I let myself get so out of control and so fat that my skin couldn't contain all the fat. They start close to my belly button, and kind of fan out a little way. I remember the first time one popped up, it was just a little one, no bigger than the length of my pinky fingernail, right next to my belly button. It was probably a year and a half ago, or maybe a little more than that. I was lingerie shopping with Jes, and saw it in the dressing room. I was devastated, seeing it there, because I knew they were permanent. From there, I don't remember seeing anymore until a couple of days before our Hawaii trip, I looked and they were all over my stomach. I felt helpless, and knew that no matter how much weight I had lost, I could never wear a bikini and fell good naked, because even if I was skinny, I would still have these...scars.

That's kind of what I think of when I see them. They're like scars, to remind me of who I once was, but they don't necessarily have to hold me back. I can still be skinny, and still feel great about my body. I know they'll fade...I have others on my sides from middle school that are hardly noticeable anymore. I just worry too much I guess.

1 comment:

  1. Hey girl just wanted to give you some props for writing this blog, talking about the mental struggle along with the physical is really important and commendable! And woop woop for your healthy lifestyle, keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete